December 26, 2012

So ...What'd you get??


     Remember being a kid and running to your friends in the neighborhood the day after Christmas?  All anyone could talk about was what they got.  Of course at the bottom of the list and actually very rarely talked about was the obligatory socks and heaven forbid underwear.

     Boy have times changed.  Between Facebook and Instagram there's no waiting for sharing.  The minute wrapping is ripped off kids are posting pictures of their recently discovered gift.  Of course unlike days of old we all rushed to the tree without stopping by a mirror first to be sure we were "picture posting perfect". Granted we all have those pictures with mussed hair and for us girls NO make-up.  But we didn't care, no one made copies of those family pics anyway, we were creating memories not "PPP" images.  I miss those days.  I enjoyed the cocoon we lived in for the day enjoying our new toys and family.  While we were excited to see what others got it was OK if we didn't know for a day or even until we got together again after Christmas Vacation.  Admittedly it did change when we got to high school and had to call our BFF's or simply our friends as we called them back in the day.  AND we actually waited until an appropriate time.  I would never think of calling Lisa in the morning, that was family and possibly church time.  No it would be late afternoon before the lines back in Bay Shore were heating up.
     I think the other difference was that everyone basically got similar items.  I truly can't remember any of my friends who had parents that went "over-board" on Christmas.  Many families had Christmas Savings Clubs and very few were maxing out credit cards.  Chances were everyone in your immediate neighborhood were very close on the economic scale as well so there wasn't that feeling of the haves and have nots.
    I do have to say in all honesty that I have a better feeling of the true meaning of Christmas today then when I did growing up.  Despite all of the religious wars and the political correctness of saying Merry Christmas I think over all we embrace the true heart of Christmas more openly now.  I know I never heard of anyone making a birthday cake for Jesus back on Long Island.
     So whether you got an Iphone 5 or a fruitcake chances are the world already knows and if you didn't like it you're at the store exchanging it out.  By the way if you got a really tacky sweater hang on to it I'll tell you what to do with it tomorrow!!!

AND  Just because I know you're wondering I got

  • Barbra Streisand DVD Collection
  • Oceans 11,12,13 DVD Collection
  • Silicon mat for baking 
  • 7 Pandora Charms 


1 comment:

  1. My mom enforced the 10 o'clock rule: No calls before 10am & no calls after 10pm. I find this is still reasonable & get very cranky when people don't respect these guidelines. Instant accessibility via smart phones doesn't mean the rules change --- at least not in my house! lolz... just try me! ;p

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment :)
It there's something you'd like to share privately please email me at
Ladybren@yahoo.com

Have a Glorious Day!