- Mortal Engines 3.5 I really like dystopian stories. We first saw a trailer for this movie in 2017 so I've been waiting. It did fall a bit short story-wise. I'm giving it a bit higher score than I normally would have due to the incredible scenery/special effects.
- The Favourite 5/5 Absolutely loved this movie; after all I am a British History Buff. Can you teach a history class from it~ NO. However that is the director's style. To see the women with little make-up and the men all done up was quite entertaining. If I wasn't pulling for Glenn Close to win the Oscar for best leading female I'd be voting for Olivia Coleman
- Vice 5/5 This was a movie I wasn't excited to go see but was interested in. I've never been a fan of Dick Cheney and I think this movie enforces whatever opinion you had of him before viewing. The acting was phenomenal. I think there should be an awards category for "reality" make-up. Of course the actor's portrayals were amazing but I challenge anyone to say they SAW Christian Bale or Sam Rockwell when watching them.
- On the Basis of Sex 4/5 I'd put this movie in the same category as The Big Short and Spotlight ~ a story that everyone needs to know (and I'm not referring to the the career of RBG). This is a movie that doesn't need to be seen on the big screen but should if for no other reason that more like it are made
- The Upside 3.5/5 Sometimes you need to go to the movies to be entertained with no great message and Upside is just that. It is not a straight comedy which I think is why it works so well with the general public.
- Glass 3.5/5 If you didn't see and can remember well Unbreakable and Split then do not see this until you do. The best scenes all include Samuel L Jackson; Bruce Willis and James McAvoy struggled compare to him. I wanted more from Bruce's David Dunn and while I so enjoyed McAvoy's transformations in Split I wanted less here. I thought the ending was perfect.
January 20, 2019
So those were the first movies we saw this year. I'm looking forward to the Oscar Nominations on Tuesday. I'll have a post up with my predictions within the week.
January 15, 2019
January 9, 2019
January 6, 2019
November 30, 2018
September 1, 2017
August 30, 2017
April 8, 2017
March 31, 2017
February 24, 2017
I think I did a pretty good job of getting to see most of this year's nominated films. In the main categories I missed Moonlight, Elle didn't play here and 20th Century Women just didn't interest me. Surprisingly I haven't seen two of the Animated Features. The one I'm most disappointed about missing was Moonlight :( I've marked my Predictions with ⭐ and my favorites with 👑