June 6, 2013

May 2013 Book Challenge Update

I was disappointed with the number of books I read this month however when I realized the 5 books contained over 2,100 pages I was actually a bit proud.

David Baldacci
Wish You Well ~   I am a huge fan of David Baldacci and this book furthered along my love affair.  There are very few authors that have the ability to not only write in more than one genre but to do it exceedingly well.
  From his website: while it came later than it probably should have, writing WISH YOU WELL was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.
   Life in the mountains of Virginia was not easy.  Being dropped there after their father dies along with their comatose mother they realize how having lived in the city all of their lives made that adjustment even harder.
   Lou and her younger brother Oz are now living with a great grandmother they never met, adjusting to a life without any of the modern 1940 conveniences they had in New York, such as running water, electricity or even a bathroom.  They have to learn how to live off the land that's been in their family for years. Times are hard for most on the mountain so when a big company starts offering to buy up farms neighbors don't understand why Louisa May won't.
     Always a gifted story teller Mr. Baldacci doesn't disappoint.  Throughout the story we're gently reminded how important family stories are.  How many traditions are lost so easily over the years.  I laughed and cried while reading, as I'm sure you will too.

Jodi Picoult ~ Last month I enjoyed her book Sing You Home so I thought I'd try another to see make sure that wasn't a fluke.
The Pact   Having just finished The Pact I can officially say I am a huge fan.  Her ability to touch on social issues as well as allowing her characters to be flawed, in other words real, is a talent to be praised.
     The Pact is a love story, a teen-age love story.  Chris and Emily were cradle buddies.  Born months apart they've always lived next to each other.  Both families were thrilled when their friendship started blossoming into a relationship. Their parents had an idealistic view of what the two of them together would mean.  Emily and Chris were in a committed relationship with all that it implies.
     Everyone believes that Chris and Emily are a fairy-tale couple, until the night that Chris is found with Emily's blood on him almost dead.  Originally thought to be a suicide pact gone wrong Chris is charged with Emily's murder.
     Ms. Picoult tells the story through eight pairs of eyes, yet you never feel overwhelmed by another perspective.  There is no sugar coating.  She airs all the dirty laundry that you'd expect to find if you were one of the parents.


 JK Rowling
OK Admittedly I am a bit behind the times on this one but hey at least I finally showed up right.
This month I read 3 of the books:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

2013 Audio Book Challenge.  For this challenge I committed to reading  hearing 25 books over the course of the year.  Books read before this month: 19  Books read this month: 5 Almost Done :)

6th What's In A Name Challenge Fire: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

2013 British Books Challenge (BBC). JK Rowling's
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge.  I committed to reading between 66-70 books during 2013.  To date I've ready 19 books.  5 in May bring that up to 24.  I need to read at least 6 in June

Eclectic Reader Challenge. Didn't knock out any this month :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment :)
It there's something you'd like to share privately please email me at
Ladybren@yahoo.com

Have a Glorious Day!