August 23, 2011

Grey's Anatomy Saved My Life

We sometimes tease my husband that he's such a girl with the shows he likes to watch.  He gets a kick out of Bridezillas watching what people tolerate from the latest Bride gone wild.  He also is quite loyal to Grey's Anatomy~ Thank Heavens!!
     Six months ago Saturday my husband son and I were shopping at BJ's.  I had a headache on the way there that bothered my vision but we had to shop as I was one of five cooking Chili for a Church Dinner the next day.  At one point while shopping my son commented how I was slurring my words.  Next they noticed I was having trouble walking.  All I wanted to do was go home and lie down my head was killing me at this point. 
    The hospital was located just five minutes away and my husband decided something was wrong and took me there.  Thank heavens as I was having a stroke.  Normally my husband would have just taken me home like I asked.  However just a week or so before Gray's Anatomy had an episode on someone having a stroke and he said I reminded him of that patient.
     So here I am six months post stroke this past Saturday.  Physically nearly all of the signs I suffered a stroke are gone.  While I still struggle with fatigue and aphasia when tired or stressed I don't think most people would guess I am a stroke survivor.  Recovery has been a lot of hard work and I am very blessed to have an incredible support system around me.  I was fortunate that my stroke wasn't as severe due to the fact I was at the hospital so quickly after its onset.  There is a drug called t-PA which if received can greatly determine a patient's survival and recovery.  This drug can only be administered up to 3 hours after the onset of the stroke. 

Learn the many warning signs of a stroke. Act FAST and CALL 9-1-1
  • Face ~ ask the person to smile.  Does one side droop?
  • Arm ~ ask the person to raise their arms.  Does one arm drift downward?
  • Speech ~ ask the person to repeat a simple sentence.  Do their words seem confused?
  • Time ~ If you observe ANY of these signs call 9-1-1 IMMEDIATELY
So thank you Dr. Meredith Grey and company for educating my husband!!  Yes we do have the DVR ready for their return in September.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my!

    I'm glad to hear you're doing well now. How scary!

    (I LOVE Grey's, too. You do surprisingly learn a lot through watching it, too, as wonderfully exemplified by your hubs!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling Lady B, Thank you for sharing... xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment :)
It there's something you'd like to share privately please email me at
Ladybren@yahoo.com

Have a Glorious Day!