March 20, 2012

B'fast for dinner March 20th and grape tip

Tonight's Menus:
Upside Down Impossible Casserole and Fruit Salad

Before I get into tonight's yummy meal I thought I would share a cooking tip that makes things so much easier! Whether it is grapes or small tomatoes cutting them in half is one of those tedious chores.  BUT not with my trick.  I learned this years ago from Sarah Moulton.  The fancy tool required: 2 tops from take out soup containers. 

grapes and two soup container lids

place lid with rim up and fill with grapes

place other lid upside down on top of grapes... should be snug fit

using bottom lid as guide slice grapes

Perfect halves!
So dinner tonight was a new recipe I created.  It is a combination of favorites so I am going to call it Upside Down Breakfast Casserole.
Ingredients:

  • 14oz can crushed pineapple drained (I put the juice in my fruit salad)
  • 2 T unsalted butter
  • 1/4 brown sugar
  • 1 pound bacon cooked
  • 1 3/4 c milk
  • 1 cup bisquik
  • 4 eggs
  • salt and pepper to taste
Set oven to 400 degrees
(I baked my bacon in the oven)

Place butter in 9x13 casserole.  Place in oven until butter melts.  Combine brown sugar with melted butter and spread to thin layer.  Cover with crushed pineapple.  Place the cooked bacon on top of the crushed pineapple, breaking if necessary so all fits... DO NOT CRUMBLE.  Mix remaining ingredients.  Slowly pour on top of bacon.  Bake for 20 minutes or until top is set.  Invert onto serving platter.

Upside Down Breakfast Casserole

Inside shot of Upside Down Breakfast Casserole
Serves 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment :)
It there's something you'd like to share privately please email me at
Ladybren@yahoo.com

Have a Glorious Day!