August 11, 2011

Manners for Bloggers

     Well don't I sound quite ominous BAWAHAHA
~~Royal Note.... if you are reading this blog rest assured it doesn't apply to you. Guess it is similar to preaching to the choir~~Lady Bren HRH

     Seriously I just don't understand the mind set of some people/bloggers.  Do they somehow think that their blog is going to have such an impact on my life that I should be grateful I found them? Or by simply receiving their tweets my day would be enhanced?  And don't forget the added benefits we acquire because we liked their Facebook page?

    What could possibly have my royal crown in such frenzy????? I sincerely wonder why some people drop their blogs, twitter and Facebook address in linky tools on blog hop pages and NEVER visit anyone else?  Very simply put..... How Rude

    Being fairly new to blogging I realize that there are quite a number of things I need to learn.   I have been able to find numerous posts on how to have a successful blog.  However, I believe that it is time someone clearly established a set of Blogging Manners.  Being Royal I feel it was my duty, please enjoy.

1. Spell/Grammar Check   I don't care if you have a Doctorate in English Lit, there is ALWAYS a chance of misspelling a word.  You cannot buy a computer today that doesn't come with some type of editing software.  For best results create your document in this program run spell and grammar checks THEN post to your blog.

2. Learn and Distinguish Homophones There, Their and They're have very different meanings.  When I read a blog and the writer has the wrong homophone it simply drives me nuts and when it happens repeatedly I truly question their level of education.

3. Read your blog   Seriously read your blog before you post it.  Very often we know what line of thought we're following and sometimes forget to take our readers along the complete ride. I actually read my blogs out loud, often to myself, as I'll catch mistakes more often when I hear what I've written.

4. Acknowledgements If you see, hear or read something and use it in your blog please do not pass it off as yours.  Someone else should receive credit.  However if that someone else is your spouse, child or other family member consider it yours, seems fair they should be happy we're including them in our blog anyway

5. Allow Comments At first I was guilty of this, however on second thought.  I don't understand why many bloggers invite comments yet those comments won't be posted until approved by blogger.  If  you want your blog to have a true dialogue you need to allow open discussion.  Remember you can always delete any comment that is truly offensive or simply irritates you.  The one time I did remove a comment I acknowledged that I did so and explained why in my next blog. 
,
6. Proper Thank You Should you be fortunate enough to have your blog picked to receive an award of any kind in addition to posting that glorious new button be sure to thank that blog, with a link, in a separate post.  I learned this the hard way. I was new and received notice in an email that I was the epic blog of the week.  I replied and thanked her.  What I should have done is posted the button and her button proudly and boldly on my page.

7.  Responses This goes hand in hand with number 5.  If someone is kind enough to take time out of their day to not only visit your blog but leave a comment you need to acknowledge that.  Now I understand when your comments start running into the hundreds this isn't practical.  BUT how do you think those bloggers got so many loyal followers in the first place!!

8.  The Golden Rule If you want other participate in any kind of hop whether it be blog, Facebook, twitter or whatever to visit your pages be sure visit theirs as well.  Do not simply drop your link into the linky tool and not visit the other participants' links.  While you may not be able to visit all depending on the number of participants, make a good effort to visit as many as you can.

9. Reality Chances are you will eventually stumble across a blog or such that you do not like.  No reason to leave a negative comment.  Just as Lowe's offers 162 shades of white everyone isn't going to like everything~ and that's okay.  Remember to be respectful *see rule 8


Of course ALL of my Royal Postings are gloriously and fabulously perfect, not. As much as I have learned there are volumes out there for me to tackle.  Please feel free to share any other manners you think bloggers should adhere to.

19 comments:

  1. I love this, especially #4!

    I admit that I'm guilty of moderating comments on my blog (#5), but I have been getting so much spam lately that it really became necessary. I do try to check it often though...plus I only need to moderate for NEW commenters.

    I've also probably been a bit lax about responding to comments this summer. I try! But it's been difficult with us being out of town so much - especially since the internet connections have been spotty! Hopefully things will get back to normal when school starts!

    Great job, Lady Bren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had a problem with spam nor did I realize that could be a problem.. see I'm always learning.

    Maybe I need to rethink the return comment thing. Very often it's a simple this is nice or such kind of a post~ I know I've left those on your blog. Not all of those require personal responses I think. I guess I was aiming more at the posts that were truly engaging a situation or even from a new follower.
    with that inmind I have also learned that when I respond to someone on their page it looks on my page as if I ignored it.

    Was definitely in a rant mode on this one huh LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower!

    Now that I got THAT out of the way, (lol) I totally agree with you. I try to follow everyone that follows me, I tried to participate as much as I can in blog hops and whatnot. I try to like pages that like mine on Facebook. Life tends to get in the way sometimes, but even if I don't get to it that day, I get to it as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There! Following you back from the blog hop! Love the tips for blogging and wish more people took the time to spell check and homophone check!
    Best, Ellen from http://letterlearning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Post!! Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    couponingawaydebt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling, Darling LB... we MUST be related in some faraway galaxy called, "It IS what it IS!" lol I think we're twins... Cups Up! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the follow and the comment:) now returning the favor
    http://hugatreewithme2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah....I LOVE your attitude!!!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog; keep in touch. Returning a follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to my new followers
    Kindertravels
    Hug a tree with me
    couponing away debt
    Ellen from Letter Learning
    and
    Mommy's time out

    Having people agree with my Royal Proclomations is just glorious

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would these be considered 'Royal decrees'?

    I agree with ya. I generally don't join a hop if I know I'm going to be away from the computer too long to participate properly. And I have figured out that some hops of are not for me so I don't join them anymore :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. @TriGirl
    Yes you are correct I could retitle them Royal Decrees thanks for pointig that out

    See if I'm following some 200+ blogs on gfc yet only I don't have even 60 i find annoying

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting points Lady Bren.

    I agree with them all!


    ~Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  13. First off, thank you very kindly for visiting my blog, following and dropping a comment!

    I LOVE your post! I was thinking about writing almost just like. Other people/bloggers can be so rude, or at least kind of thoughtless when it come top blog etiquette. Thank you for the post and the kindly reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fiona and Meg two more very very wise new friends :0) Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  15. :) I love this. I couldn't agree with you any more. Now... how do we go about FIXING this? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with you! I'm a newbie to this whole blogging thing too and I've noticed this from quite a few bloggers.

    I just wanted to say thank you for stopping by my blog and for leaving a sweet comment! I am here to follow you back. Can't wait to read more from you.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy cow, I seriously need to go back and recheck my posts. Very valid points that should be part of a Blogger Creed.

    Thanks for the follow and following back, although I was a bit slow to respond. (ourwolvesden. blogspot. com)

    So far, I'm loving the humor of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award on my blog! Check it out:
    http://shoestringtightrope.com/archives/2870
    and I hope you accept! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment :)
It there's something you'd like to share privately please email me at
Ladybren@yahoo.com

Have a Glorious Day!