July 21, 2011

Trying to Regain some Skills

     So  prior to the great event (aka my stroke) this February I loved cooking.  Truly it didn't bother me when someone asked what was for dinner as I usually woke up thinking what can I make tonight.  OK not every day but most days.  For some reason I don't understand I just can't get back into the swing of it.  Cooking is close to a chore and well my family is paying the price.
     You see I was spoiled.  When I first came home, and during my incarceration ~ yes that is what I consider living at Rehab, check this blog out if you don't believe me, our church family was providing meals 4 times a week. Many of those meals were large enough to have again as left overs or at least be a part of my regular "Cleaning out the Fridge/Freezer It's Buffet for Dinner Tonight".  Then another friend made 10 frozen meals that continued the blessing.  So somewhere around the end of May dinner was back on me full time.  Much to my dismay they've pretty much been boring and served no purpose other than fulfilling the state requirement of feeding my kids.  I then lucked out for 2 weeks in a row of not feeding the crew.  WHY?  Because they were gone on Mission Trips, Camp and Church Dinners for VBS. 
   This past week the younger 2 are at camp so its just DH and Em.  So I have decided to try and get my groove back.  Yeah that doesn't sound right.  How about "I'm trying to get into the Apron"? Who cares you know what I mean.  So my approach is no longer cook the tried and true but to reach out and explore where my kitchen hasn't gone before. (OK enough with the puns, maybe)  With that in mind I am going to once a week feature a new recipe and let you know how we fared.  And in keeping with my Lady Bren theme the posts shall be titled  Cue Royal Fanfare Please

 From the Royal Table......come on you know you love it!!


Roasted Broccoli and Shrimp With Ginger Rice
  • 2 cups rice
  • 4 cups chicken or shrimp stock
  • 1" piece of garlic
  • 2 Pounds Broccoli or 1 pound Broccoli Florette's
  • 1 1/2 pounds peeled and cleaned Shrimp
  • 2 tsp cumin (divided 1 +1)
  • 2 tsp coriander (divided 1 +1)
  • 1 tsp chili powder (divided 1/2 +1/2)
  • 3 T canola oil (divide 1 1/2 + 1 1/2)
  • S/P how you like
  • 1 large lemon (zest too)
The entire meal should take you 25 minutes! Serves 4
Preheat oven to 425 have top rack on second highest level
Line Cookie Sheet with Foil

Place rice, stock, ginger and salt in pot.  Bring to boil, stir.  Cover and reduce heat to low and leave alone until ready to serve. Remove and discard Ginger
Divide Broccoli Florets into small pieces.  If you like peel the Broccoli stem and slice into thin coins.  In large bowl combine 1/2 of the spices and canola oil.  Mix well, add S/P to preference.  If you like very spicy food you may want to increase the chili.  Add the Broccoli and toss to coat using the best tool in the kitchen.. your hands.
Place the Broccoli on a cookie sheet and spread it out. Cook 10 minutes.
While the Broccoli is cooking have slaves  family members peel and clean shrimp,  Save the shells and you can make stock for next time ~ Recipe below.   Using same bowl from Broccoli once again combine oil and the remaining spices and the lemon zest.  Toss shrimp to coat.
Remove Broccoli from oven and add Shrimp.  Continue to cook both for another 10 minutes.

By now your house should smell wonderful!!
Serve over Ginger Rice with Lemon wedges

Enjoy!!

We loved this.... Easy clean-up and healthy to boot!!
I cannot take complete credit for this recipe I tweaked (not much, mostly the rice) it from The Wednesday Chef who got it from Melissa Clark.  (think I've mentioned everyone)


Shrimp Stock

It is pretty much up to you if you want to make this basic or with veggies.  I prefer to make my stocks as simple as possible so I am in complete control of the flavors when using in a recipe.
I simply place all the shells in a pot and add 2 qt water and cover.  As I like a really concentrated stock I let it boil away til I have 1 qt.  While cooking be sure to skim the top of the foam.
I use shrimp stock in rice ~~YUMMY
Also in seafood recipes that call for chicken stock. 
My favorite way to freeze stock is in the soup containers from take out Chinese

4 comments:

  1. Wow, and you call that what, not getting your groove back yet? That looked waaaay better than the cooking in our house, and that's on our better days :)

    Following you back from the thursday hop. I think you're so cool for not letting what happened stop you from enjoying your life! Way to go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look pretty yummy!

    thanks for dropping by at Momfever.com!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious...I'll have to try it!

    I frequently feel like that in the summer - it's just too hot to feel inspired to get in the kitchen and cook! We grill a lot and eat a lot of salads in the summer.

    I usually get inspired when I watch Food Network!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment :)
It there's something you'd like to share privately please email me at
Ladybren@yahoo.com

Have a Glorious Day!