July 28, 2011

The Phone Call we all dread

     Wednesday night 9:45 my phone rings with my crying daughter on the other end they’ve just been in a car accident. 
     Rushing to the scene felt like the longest 2 miles I have ever had to drive.  Unfortunately I have been in 3 car accidents, however pulling over and seeing three of your children (though 2 are only biologically the third is a dear friend who is my blonde daughter)  standing next to a crashed car truly takes your breath away.  Though the two cars are in pretty bad shape all involved survived.  No one was at fault as the car the teenagers were in hydroplaned on a blind corner.  The girls were pretty much a wreck and my son held it all together making the necessary calls.  I don’t think I have ever felt so helpless.  The police and workers didn’t want Mom answering questions they wanted the 3 kids, two are 19 one 17, to explain.  Hearing another person point at your kids accusingly and without any charity wanted me to behave like the native New Yorker I am, though in fairness she was just involved in an accident.
   One hour later we had my son who was sat where the impact occurred at the Emergency Room.  He had pretty much taken control of the situation and the girls until I arrived.  Within minutes the reality of it all hit him and we went into shock.  Deciding to err on the side of caution we wanted him checked out as he was unresponsive for a bit.  He was given a clean bill of health and advised to take it easy for a few days.
     Today was rough on all, I’m pretty confident no one slept well last night. The girls just wanted to spend time together so we went to see Winnie the Pooh was a great distraction and a chance for us all to laugh.  My son slept most of the day away.
     No matter what we do, and all the safety precautions we take things are going to happen to our children that we have no control over.  We all know that no matter how much we want to encase our children in bubble wrap they’re going to get hurt.  From their first real boo-boo to their broken hearts we want to heal every pain that enters our children’s lives.  We can’t they grow through these experiences.....being an observer simply sucks.
    

7 comments:

  1. Oh, yeah, but you were lucky, lucky.

    Thank God....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your heart hun!!!! My kids are 11 and 4 and I am DREADING it when they get their license It makes me sick actually to think of even letting my kids go to school I was never bad until the youngest came along now I am terrible I cried for MONTHS when she started preschool and she only went 4 hours a week lol... I am pathetic I worry about broken hearts and if they have enough friends if they fall down or dont eat right. I can only imagine how your heart sank and how you felt and I bet it was the longest 2 min drive of your life... I was a medic before I was a nanny and I saw more devastation working in the largest city next to boston in mass your children are so lucky and blessed and now lesson learned. They sound like awesome beautiful kids!
    Thanks for coming by Mommy2Nanny3Doggy1

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's tough! So, so glad they're all ok! My oldest turns 16 in a few weeks and will be driving solo soon. Just gotta keep them covered in prayer!

    Thanks for stopping by Magical Mouse Schoolhouse! I am following you too now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry to hear that this accident happened. What a blessing that they are all safe! Yes, I totally understand what you mean about wanting "our children in bubble wrap"! Ours have been in car accidents also through no fault of theirs, or have done "adventurous" things (our son goes sky diving today!) or had faced challenges (same son...diagnosed at age 14, but thankful and blessed that he is a healed, strong and cancer-free 21 yr old)... Thankful and blessed to have the assurance that our children are covered and protected by our Lord Jesus Christ.

    Blessings & Aloha!
    ...I am catching up on my blog thank yous...thank you so much for your visit and sweet comment! I'm happy you enjoyed the art I do. I will check out your fb page. Please check out my facebook art page too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! I'm so sorry and I can just imagine how you felt. My son will be getting his license in the next couple of months and I am just terrified of something like this happening. I'm so glad everyone is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that everyone is okay. I would love to wrap my boys up in bubble wrap to prevent them from the hurts and realities of life, but it's just not possible as you've said.

    They're very blessed to have a wonderful mother!

    I'm visiting your blog from the Wild Wednesday blog hop
    http://www.mauimompreneur.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. The experiences our kids go through...do simply suck! my heart was broken for my 13 yr. old when she lost her best friend this past spring..at no fault of hers but her medication and the way it caused her to become. Luckily, the friendship was patched by a mutual friend and then I was able to explain...but while it all was happening...I was a mental case for my daughter:-(. Anyway, thanks for becoming a follower of Finger Click Saver's. I've come to return the love. Make it a great weekend (it's here very soon)!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment :)
It there's something you'd like to share privately please email me at
Ladybren@yahoo.com

Have a Glorious Day!