February 13, 2015

I Just Finished a Great Book!

I know that you can check on my Book Page to see what I've read however I just finished a really great book and wanted to tell you all about it.  Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Book Store by Robin Sloan.


I wish I could remember why I added this book to my Overdrive reservation list, I'm sure someone
somewhere recommended it ~ I just can't remember who. The reason being I want to Thank that person, maybe even send them flowers (at least emoji flowers).
     This book was so refreshing.  I know that's a weird description as we usually use that word for vacations, massages or drinks, but seriously this book was refreshing. I don't think it is happenstance that the cover is bright yellow (OK I'm getting way too deep).  
    Author Robin Sloan doesn't waste any time getting to the heart of the matter.  Within a few minutes of reading, OK for me listening, we are engaged with the main characters, have a feel for what is going to occur yet don't feel overwhelmed.  The conversations both out loud and inside Clay Jennon's head are ones we'd often have in similar situations.   Ajax Penumbra, Kat Potente and the other characters no matter how briefly they appear feel completely fleshed out.  Bookies aka Bibliophiles will appreciate the references to many great tomes such as Harry Potter, Hitchhiker's Guide and others. The main setting is San Francisco with visits to Google, NYC and even a textile museum.  

     This is a book about books.  It is about what we can find within books when we're not looking. It's also about what we can find along the way while searching for that perfect book. It is a story about friendships both old and new.  How despite all of the glorious things technology is providing us with nothing can replace the gut feelings and butterflies that propel us along a search. 
 
     There are a few quotes/thoughts that really resonated with me:

"All the secrets of the world worth knowing are hiding in plain sight"

"There is no immortality that is not built on friendship and work done with care. 
Your life must be an open city, with all sorts of ways to wander in.” 

This one is how I often feel when listening to a really good book:

"I’ve never listened to an audio book before, and I have to say, it’s a totally different experience. When you read a book, the story definitely happens inside your head. When you listen, it seems to happen in a little cloud all around it, like a fuzzy knit cap pulled down over your eyes"

I believe the success of audio books relies on the proper narrator and Ari Fliakos did a great job narrating.  I enjoyed listening to him so much I'm going to see what else he's narrated.

So what have you read lately?



Remember to always wear your invisible crown
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment :)
It there's something you'd like to share privately please email me at
Ladybren@yahoo.com

Have a Glorious Day!