January 30, 2013

Breakfast for Dinner 1/29 & the collateral damage

     Tuesday nights are Breakfast for Dinner in my house.  It gets difficult sometimes finding new and exciting things to cook without simply relying on Eggs and Bacon or Pancakes.  Every now and then just by happenstance I stumble onto something yummy and did that ever happen today.
      I can't take complete credit for the recipe as I did a bit of research and based my creation on the input of many other chefs.  It all started when we brought home half a crate of Honeybell Oranges, my hubby's favorite.  Without fail he eats at least two a day so buying that amount made sense.  However I  now have oranges all over the house. While they do look pretty in the bowls and the hanging fruit baskets it was time to help shrink the inventory.
    We haven't had pancakes for dinner in a while so I thought why not create an orange pancake.  Many others have had the same thought and there's tons of recipes out there.  While reading them I noticed that marmalade was a common ingredient.  Next thing you know I was on my way to creating an Orange Marmalade Pancake.
   There are as many marmalade recipes out there as there are varieties of oranges.  I wasn't looking to make jars just enough for dinner. I found a number of recipes that called for cooking the marmalade in the microwave.  PERFECT!!  The crazy part of what I am going to tell you is that I kept reminding myself how easy it is to be burnt by sugar and to be careful.  If only I had followed that thought through entirely this wouldn't have happened:
Not only did I obviously ruin a batch of marmalade but as you can see destroyed my brand new IKEA mixing bowl that I love.  What happened was simple I didn't pay attention.  The recipe said it would take 15-20 minutes and to stir every few minutes.  So I set the microwave and at 5 minutes, all was good.  Another 5 minutes things were starting to get bubbly.  At this point I should have only put it back on for 2 minutes not 5 and I definitely should NOT have left the room.  Man did the house smell horrible.  What you can't really see is all of the jelly and rind specs all over the microwave plate.  A few hours later I attempted the recipe again, this time in a glass bowl.  I also checked on it every 2 minutes rather than 5 and voila success.  Now I could make my Orange Marmalade Pancakes for dinner. BTW 3 pancakes = 8PP+
Lady Bren's Orange Marmalade Pancakes
Marmalade (enough for dinner only)
3 large or 4 medium oranges
Sugar
  1. Over a glass bowl: Using a microplane zest the oranges being careful not to get any pith
  2. Quarter the orange and remove any seeds. Over the bowl proceed to segment the orange being sure to not have any membrane or white pith on the pieces. If the pieces are large chop them up.
  3. Using either a kitchen scale or a glass measuring cup determine the amount of orange you have in your bowl then add an equal amount of sugar. Mix together
  4. Place the bowl in the microwave and cook on high for 2 minutes.  Remove bowl to stir.  Return bowl to microwave and repeat process until it has cooked for a total of 10 minutes.
  5. Smear a small amount of the marmalade onto a cool plate to check the consistency (remember it will set up a bit while cooling).  Return to microwave if you're not happy with the consistency for 30 seconds at a time. 
  6. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool before adding to pancake recipe
Yield: 3/4 cup marmalade (approx)

Pancakes
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbs sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 ground cloves
pinch of fresh nutmeg
1 1/4 cups orange juice
1/14 cups milk
2 egg
4 Tbs melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbs marmalade

  1. Preheat griddle, spray with cooking spray if necessary
  2. Mix dry ingredients in large bowl, create a well
  3. Whisk wet ingredients (NOT marmalade) in small bowl
  4. Slowly whisk wet ingredients into the dry until combined, there will be small lumps
  5. Whisk in the marmalade just enough to combine
  6. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto the griddle.  Turn pancake over when bubbles start to form (about 2 minutes) Cook on other side until golden, (1-2 minutes)
  7. Serve warm with remaining marmalade                         Yield 18 pancakes
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment :)
It there's something you'd like to share privately please email me at
Ladybren@yahoo.com

Have a Glorious Day!