January 20, 2019

January Movies

We usually try to see at least two movies a week thanks to our AMC A-List passes.  
I plan to update weekly on what we've seen starting in February.
  • Mortal Engines  3.5 I really like dystopian stories. We first saw a trailer for this movie in 2017 so I've been waiting.  It did fall a bit short story-wise.  I'm giving it a bit higher score than I normally would have due to the incredible scenery/special effects.  
  • The Favourite 5/5 Absolutely loved this movie; after all I am a British History Buff.  Can you teach a history class from it~ NO.  However that is the director's style.  To see the women with little make-up and the men all done up was quite entertaining.  If I wasn't pulling for Glenn Close to win the Oscar for best leading female I'd be voting for Olivia Coleman
  • Vice 5/5 This was a movie I wasn't excited to go see but was interested in.  I've never been a fan of Dick Cheney and I think this movie enforces whatever opinion you had of him before viewing.  The acting was phenomenal.  I think there should be an awards category for "reality" make-up.  Of course the actor's portrayals were amazing but I challenge anyone to say they SAW Christian Bale or Sam Rockwell when watching them.  
  • On the Basis of Sex 4/5 I'd put this movie in the same category as The Big Short and Spotlight ~ a story that everyone needs to know (and I'm not referring to the the career of RBG).  This is a movie that doesn't need to be seen on the big screen but should if for no other reason that more like it are made
  • The Upside 3.5/5  Sometimes you need to go to the movies to be entertained with no great message and Upside is just that.  It is not a straight comedy which I think is why it works so well with the general public.  
  • Glass 3.5/5  If you didn't see and can remember well Unbreakable and Split then  do not see this until you do.  The best scenes all include Samuel L Jackson; Bruce Willis and James McAvoy struggled compare to him.  I wanted more from Bruce's David Dunn and while I so enjoyed McAvoy's transformations in Split I wanted less here.  I thought the ending was perfect.

My Favourite (see what I did there) movie so far this month:

So those were the first movies we saw this year.  I'm looking forward to the Oscar Nominations on Tuesday.  I'll have a post up with my predictions within the week.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment :)
It there's something you'd like to share privately please email me at
Ladybren@yahoo.com

Have a Glorious Day!